About Me

My photo
A Pan-Africanist and Liberian activist

Welcome one and all

Welcome to Monrovia Journal

This is a platform to record my thoughts, my insights, my visions and my life. It is for sharing, for seeking meaning, for contributing to a more caring, a more secure, a safer world for all people.

I am limited by my socialization, my conscience, my choices and the spaces I find myself active within.

This is not an attempt to proselytize but one to hopefully conscientize; simply a debating stage for developing an informed understanding of the times I live in; the places I call homes.

Engage if you may but don't be pervasive, abusive or obscene. Thanks.

As always,

ebp

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The New Man in Africa I

It has been raining for the last few days in Johannesburg.  Of course it is getting colder as well. The talk around the dinning tables, in the parks while walking the dogs, at the bar while trying to get a larger and in the car while driving to work, to run errands or just visiting nice folks, is that with so much rain, it would be a colder winter. Some say they like it when it is colder because one stays home more often and only go out when necessary.

Come winter, one has to start the whole project of making soup. Yes, soup in winter is so good.

So off to the nearest shop I go and got some lentils. I explained to the shop owner that I wanted to make lentil soup for my beautiful wife and she advised me on what ingredients to get. No doubt the lentil itself, then some fresh ginger, star seed, onions, tomatoes and other spices, I can't named since it is a special recipe for my wife only.

I recalled that my wife loves trotters, in Liberia we call it "pigfoot", except that the ones in Liberia are imported and salted. Here they are produced local and not salted. I got a couple of trotters from the shop, and got a handful more of spices.

In the kitchen, I set about the chopping and dicing, the grinding and mixing, the pouring and spicing. After a few hours, trotters is ready, soap is ready.

I run back to the garage (gas station in Liberia) and get some wood for the fireplace. I know that my wife gets cold easily and it would be nice to get the fire started before she returns from a day of many, many ANC meetings - muncipal elections are to be held in a month's time. Dashed home and get the fire started.

As she walks in, she noticed the fire and said "oh honey thanks so much for the fire"
I said "there is more where that came from"
She said "what more is there, sweet one"
I responded "the trotters you like so much and some lentil soup with a different recipe that I learned today"
and followed by saying "all this for you sweetheart."
She was so pleased to come home to a warm hearth, some well-cooked trotters, a nice lentil soup all made by her man for her.  Ummm, is this what the new African man is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment